Jun 28, 2008

Smokey Sloppy Joes

Sloppy Joes are somewhat of a comfort food for me and somewhat of a back-up plan. When I have planned to make hamburgers and it rains, I make sloppy joes, but I ALWAYS lose the recipe and start from scratch. Tonight I wrote down one version.

1Tbsp olive oil
1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 bell pepper (red if in season) chopped (optional)
1 small onion chopped
1 can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 1/2-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (optional)
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion, bell pepper, and meat and saute until browned. Add other ingredients and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until desired thickness.

1 comment:

J. said...

I bet the paprika really makes them pop. Nice touch.