Jun 11, 2008

Lost and Found: Tabula Rasa and Walkabout

I was wide awake at 5:00 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, I had a little extra time to watch a second episode. As a warning 5:00 am LOST thoughts are not profound in the least bit (see item one under Walkabout for proof) :)

Tabula Rasa

1. This in one of my least favorite episodes. Really, it is less about blank slates and starting over and more about 39 minutes of watching a guy slowly die and 4 minutes of everyone deciding to get along and be friends. I like that we get Kate's backstory (or at least a very small piece of it), but for me it gets lost in the constant screaming of the marshal. Maybe that's the point, Kate can start over because at this point, no one really has the time or energy to care what she did in her past. Kate can only really start over if the marshal dies, so I understand that killing him is a plot device, but for me this episode becomes more about him and less about Kate.

2. I'd forgotten how dependent Jack was on other people from the very beginning. While he may be pegged as the leader, he never really makes a decision on his own. I like that he listens to women, something Jin still needs to get better at, but Jack's interest in Kate is so sexualized.

3. Sawyer's nicknames: I really like Sawyer's nicknames, but had forgotten how mean they were at first, and how the rest of the characters' responded. The early one's were generally descriptions of weight (Hurley) or ethnicity (Sayid) and come across more a sign that Sawyer doesn't care enough to learn names, rather than the signs of affection that they later become. At the end of this episode, Sawyer does call Kate "Freckles" for the first time.

Walkabout:
1. What happened to all the boars after season 1. Did they kill and eat them all? Do boars only live in one small part of the island? I'm nearly positive that the survivors have been back to that stretch of beach, but the boars seem to have gone into hibernation since season 1. I know this is a really small detail, but all I could think about this entire episode was "what happened to all the boars?" Are they controlled by Ben like everything else? Maybe there are just a handful of boars that live on the island. We know that there are at least 2 adult boars and a handful of "piglets." I can't remember which one Sawyer gets in a feud with later this season for "staring" at him, but I guess the real question is did the boars in hiding move with the island at the end of this season

2. We know that the island has healing properties--Locke can now walk, soon we will learn that Rose has been cured of cancer--, but this is also the first episode where we see Christian Sheparad (Jack's father who died in Australia and was being flown back to the US). This is the first of the "I see dead people" moments on the island. If Christian Shepard can come back to life, that gives hope for Charlie and Clair, right?

3. I have no more thoughts on this episode because I seriously spent 40 minutes pondering the state of the boars on the island.

No comments: