Jun 9, 2008

New Phones


After more than an hour on the phone with "customer service" with AT&T, we finally got our phones upgraded AND added text messaging. I came very close to telling them to close the account because they have the most incompetent employees I've talked to in a very long time.

I shouldn't have even needed to call, but their website is so poorly set up that I told one rep that they really needed to hire some tech writers before they got reported to the Better Business Bureau. For example, when they say "Family Talk $50.99" and then explain by saying "Get the first two lines for one low price. Each additional line is just $9.99 per month" They really mean that the "one low price" is $59.99. The rep said that it's not "supposed" to mean that the package includes two lines to start with. A different person told me that "credit check" at checkout isn't really a credit check (something I objected to since we are already existing customers). It's not that I was concerned that it wouldn't go through, but I'm not a fan of randomly running my credit for no particular reason.

My biggest complaint isn't really that the website says things that it doesn't mean, but that when you call they act like they've never even seen the website. There was a lot of "it asks for your social security number, that's weird." My favorite line was "I'm pretty sure that the commercial I saw last night says..."

Somehow, 5 transfers later, I seemed to find someone who was a) aware AT&T had a website, b) knew how to use the website, and c) knew how to override the system and order the phones with charing me or rerunning my credit.

The even better news is that now we can text. I know that I'm ages behind in technology, but as long as you don't send me pictures, music, or video, I can pretend that I'm caught up again.

No comments: