Jun 10, 2008

Lost and Found: The Pilot Pt 1

There are no more LOST episodes for a long time, and it's summer, and we got a new computer than is capable of watching the online episodes without exploding, so I'm going to rewatch the old episodes and blog about it here. To be fair, I totally ripped this off from M, but I think it's a great idea, so I'm going to try it to. If you don't watch LOST, and you read my blog (something that doesn't apply to many of you), then feel free to skip any post that starts Lost and Found.



1. I can't believe that until now, I never caught the double meaning of the title. In my mind, pilot was "first episode" and at the time, I never thought about the significance of the pilot when I watched this the first time. In additon, I had not yet learned that everything has a double (or at least misleading) meaning on LOST and that nothing is simple. The pilot as a character appears for only a matter of minutes in this episode, but he introduces the Black Smoke--a character that will plague the island for the next several seasons. Ironically, in season four, it's also the pilot that leads the helicopter pilot Frank (aka Kenny Rogers) to discover that Oceanic is being less than honest about the fate of the airplane.

2. Hurley got the crap jobs rights from the beginning, but he is also still one of my favorite characters. He's the one who suggested that they bury the dead, he's the one who got meals together that first night. He may not be the social leader like Jack, but he definitely is key to pulling the island together.

3. I've never seen so much bamboo in any episode since. When Jack wakes up in the forest and runs for several minute through nothing but bamboo.

4. The Oceanic Six get so much screen time in their intros that I'm convinced that they were pegged (or at least strongly considered) from the beginning of the show. Sawyer is quite and on the sidelines, but we don't learn as much about him in this episode. Hurley is taking care of Claire. Sayid builds the fire. We get a quite extensive intro to Sun and Jin, which looking back now is rather odd.

No comments: