Jun 3, 2008

"If you mean time travelling bunnies, then yes"

"If you mean time travelling bunnies, then yes" these are my random thoughts on LOST...

I should have been working on school stuff today, but instead I rewatched the LOST season finale. I'd watched last Thursday when it aired, but due to other circumstances, I felt like I needed to rewatch when I was more focused.

When I lived in Springfield, there was a large LOST following that seems to have dwindled over the years. This year, I have gotten to watch periodically with two friends and chat about it via email with one or two more, but I don't feel like I've had the ongoing critical discussions that I had when I first started watching.

When I watched the finale, I felt like the beginning of the finale had moved away from that critical aspect to be more Rambo-like. Lost has always been violent--it started with a fiery plan crash, but I still have a hard time staying interested in the explosive laden mercenary who runs around as if he showed up on the wrong film set.

I don't think that I have any profound feelings or predictions about the series. I'm semi-shocked that when Jacob told Locke to "move the island," the prophesy turned out to be a literal instruction. I'm excited that the show appears to be turning back toward the science and mystery of the island and farther away from "exactly how bad are the people on the boat." In essence, I felt like we spent a little too much time on that question this season. At the same time, I realize that the boat (and the people on it) are an means to getting the Oceanic Six off the island and explaining this season's introduction of the flashforward.

A friend sent me an article in Slate that I found very interesting it's discussion of Lost's narrative arcs. Although the series is often known for raising more questions than it answer's, the author notes that it is the unreliable narrator of the flashback/forward that complicates what she sees as a otherwise simple storyline in order to prove that the writer's do have a masterplan. She describes the season's minus the flashes as:
Here's a breakdown of the first three years: 1) Are there other people on this island? 2) There are other people on this island. 3) Oh, my God, the other people on this island are way mean!
I'm not sure that I agree with the need to even have the debate as to whether the writers have a master plan or not. If they've committed to a seven season run, then they have to have a basic shell (at least something to sell to ABC), so all of the debate about changing things as they go along seems to be more the result of frustrated fans who can't get a clear picture of the rules of this world.

Other random thoughts about this season:
  • I love the one liners. The writers have created some very quotable lines. My favorite is probably during Hurley surprise party when he walks in with a statue of Jesus ready to attack a burglar and his mom says "Jesus Christ is not a weapon"
  • I'm getting tired of Jack. Everyone else seems to be working through their issues, but Jack's seem to be compounding.
  • The whole Aaron is 5 weeks old is the most unbelievable thing I've heard yet on the show. I'll go with the giant wheel in the basement of the greenhouse before I'd believe that one.
  • The pop-ups have gotten much better. When they were first introduced them, they had very basic info, but now they actually seem to offer some insights.

No comments: