Jun 10, 2008

Lost and Found: The Pilot Pt 2

I didn't enjoy part two as much as part one, but I still found it very interesting.

1. Lots of unresolved issues: Sawyer and Sayid get into a fist fight about the infamous "what is the criminal" question. Ironically, Kate breaks it up with a distraction, but the most fascinating part of this episode for me was that Sawyer very angrily tells Jack "you're the hero." In those early days, and even the first couple of seasons, it was strongly suggested that Jack was the key to survival. Now that I see that this was pointed out in the pilot (pts 1 &2 were originally shown together), I am more comfortable with my reading that since that point the show has tried to make Jack anything but the hero.

2. Jin is a complete chauvinist asshole in this episode. I really can't think of any other way to describe him. He completely dominates Sun, even though we later learn she was trying to leave him. He's jealous. He's rude. His only redeeming quality is that he give Claire a piece of seafood and Aaron kicks again. He's come a long way to convince me 4 seasons later to hope he wasn't killed in the explosion.

3. Hurley is still one of my favorites. He "assists" Jack in holding down the Marshall while Jack removes the shrapnel. I'm convinced that I like Hurley, especially in these early episodes, because he doesn't have the anger and resentment issues that the others do. He does have self-esteem issues, which is something I identify with more than anger, but from day one on the island he thinks about others.

4. Shannon needs to go....NOW...really, she translated the message, now get rid of her already.

No comments: