May 18, 2008

Museum of Science and Industry

This weekend we went into Chicago with my parents and sister. While in the city, we went to the Museum of Science and Industry. While I was dreading the notorious admission fees of Chicago museums, we were met with a nice surprise--National City Bank was sponsoring a free day at the museum. I knew that the museums sponsored free days, but this wasn't on the list.

The museum itself was very interesting. It's more of a children's discovery museum with lots of hands on exhibits, but it was still very interesting. I don't know that I would have been as happy with it, if we were paying admission, but it was a great afternoon.

They have a German U-boat on display that you can tour. We didn't pay to go inside it, but we did get to walk right up to the outside. The story of the U-505's journey from the Atlantic Ocean to a museum in the middle of the midwest is a great exhibit.

They also have a baby chick hatchery that my mom remembered from her childhood trip to the museum. While we didn't get to actually see any chicks hatch (in the 20 minutes we were there), the site of cracked eggs and newly hatched chicks was worth it.

No comments: