May 14, 2008

How to sit on my furniture

I like throw pillows, accent pillows, whatever you want to call them. I'm really unsure why people cannot sit on furniture with such pillows, however. It's really not hard...the pillow is in the corner, and you sit next to it. You don't put it on the floor, in the middle of the sofa, in another piece of furniture, or an end/coffee table. The pillow will not be hurt if you touch it. You will not be hurt if the pillow touches you. There will be plenty of room for both of you.

I've given up on the pillows on our bed because Greg gripes about them and throws them on my side of the bed, but I'm not giving up on all the pillows. I'm all about having a functional, lived in house, but I draw a line somewhere.

I don't have a ton of pillows on the furniture, and I don't feel like I'm being especially unreasonable in asking people to live with my pillows, but I'm trying to keep my life more organized and I'm done with the "it's more functional" reasoning for house decor. I wouldn't go into someone's house and take down the pictures or art work or rearrange the items on their kitchen counter, so, if you are visiting my house, please don't remove the pillows. You can wear your shoes in my house (or not). You can eat in my living room. You can help yourself to blankets. But please, stop messing with my pillows. It's not a rational pet peeve, but it seriously is getting out of control, so please indulge me and don't take the pillows off my furniture.

No comments: