May 7, 2008

Blackboard

This semester, ISU introduced Blackboard as a replacement for their old web-based learning system. As someone who had used Blackboard at Missouri State, I jumped at the chance to finally have an electronic classroom component. I didn't realize, however, that in the 2 years since I had last used the system, a lot of update had taken place--some great, others a total pain. Right now, I'm debating how to continue using it in my future classes for several reasons.

The gradebook: Old blackboard used to automatically add a column that gave you a total for all the columns created; New blackboard offers all sorts of "formula" options. In order to get a running total, the instructor has to create a formula that individually adds all columns. As someone who has *lots* of small assignments, the formula itself takes me forever and has to be updated constantly. Since the assignments in the formula are listed alphabetically rather than chronologically like the gradebook itself, I find myself clearing the entire formula and starting over several times a semester.

Students and the grade: A problem that I ran into last time, I used Blackboard is still an issue that I'm not sure how to deal with. Students become obsessed with their grade and are constantly sending me emails that say "grade question." Maybe I should grade things the instant that they come in, but as someone who is still taking classes myself, I don't always get that done. When students can't see my gradebook, they know that if they weren't in class, they didn't get the points and if they were in class, they did. When they can see the gradebook, if I create a column and don't grade the assignment right away, they flip out. I'm tempted to keep the grade book function "hidden" from students. It's not fair to all of them, but it may be necessary for my sanity.

Assignment dropbox: I'd never really used this feature on the previous version, but I absolutely love this feature on Blackboard. Not only does it give me a list of those who turned in the assignment late, or not at all, but it also puts the assignment and the grading rubric together, so that when I grade and return the assignment, it is automatically added to the grade book as well. My one complaint, the assignment description and the directions are not both shown on any one screen. For students who don't pay attention (which presumably would be the same ones that would lose or not read a paper assignment sheet), this has created some problems.

Discussion Board: My new solution to reading quizzes. Next semester, I don't think I will use a rubric for this feature because it's too hard to override if they were absent (1/2 credit in my class), but I do like students beginning the discussion before they ever walk in the classroom.

Chat: The worst idea Blackboard has ever had. Students already think that instructors should be available 24/7 and Blackboard only encourages this with chat. Users can elect to "appear offline," but to students that only says "my teacher is never on here to help." My hope is that with increased technology in the classroom, we can use that technology to help students become more independent learners not more dependent.

Course Content: quite easily my favorite feature of Blackboard. I'm a big fan of supplemental readings, but copyright laws make distribution hard. The English department offers a password protected electronic reserve, but it requires students to navigate the VPN client or be on campus. Blackboard allows me to add these same supplemental readings to the course content (along with other class documents such as syllabi) and even link those readings to the calendar.

I think that the benefits really outweigh my frustrations with the program, but I do wish Blackboard would offer less and make it better quality. For example, instead of offering students the option to see if their instructor is online, can we focus on improving the Java, so it doesn't freeze computers. My goal next semester is going to be to figure out a way to convey to students that my goal for educational technology is to make them more independent thinkers and learners. My job is not, and in my opinion should not be, to micromanage their lives and work. Learning and individuality are impossible if we treat educational technology as a way to attain M.T. Anderson's Feed.

No comments: