Jul 22, 2008

Things I've learned on the trail...

So far the biking to work thing is going really well. I've cheated a couple of days (Monday for example, we had a terrible storm and they were warning of hail, so I drove), but mostly I've biked everyday. In the process, I've discovered a few things...
  • I drink much less coffee in the morning. Biking two miles wakes me up without the caffeine, but really the thought of drinking hot coffee and biking in the middle of summer just makes me steer clear.
  • I really hate driving now. I'm not sure what exactly I dislike, but if it's too hot to bike somewhere, I'm much more likely to stay home. This is an unexpected eco-friendly benefit.
  • I shower a lot more. This means more water, more shampoo bottles, etc, but in July there really isn't another option. Hopefully this fall, I won't get as stinky.
  • I'm "friends" with people on the trail that I don't know their names. They just happen to be on the trail the same time as me everyday. While waiting to cross a busy street this morning, I ran into the older gentlemen who says hi to me every day. Today he said hi plus "have you lost weight?"
  • People do notice courteous bikers. I always make a point to say hi if someone says hi to me, and I ALWAYS warn people when passing. I frequently see a little boy (about 4-5) on a bike with training wheels. When he sees another bike, he stops and gets off the trail. Last week, he said to his mom "it's okay she's the bike that says hi" and kept riding. This made my day.
  • The shade on the trail is nice, but it also creates a bug breeding ground. Talking while riding can result in the unfortunate ingestion of bugs.
  • Related the above item, Suave has a new body spray that is scented with Grapefruit and Lemongrass, both substances that naturally repel bugs. Plus it doesn't leave with eau de boyscout camp. I don't think this is its intended use, but it works.

No comments: