Jul 10, 2008

"Gang Hangers" on Bikes

If been accused of being lots of things, but up until this afternoon I'd never been confused for a gang member. That's right, in case you missed it gang members are now 5'3 blonde females who wear grey yoga capris and pink Relay for Life t-shirts along with their blue helmets and backpacks while biking to the grocery store.

The Context: It's been a long day. It was a very long morning and then this afternoon my car battery decided to die and due to scheduling conflicts won't get fixed until tomorrow afternoon. So it's me and the bike. Tonight I needed to go to the grocery store, and Greg was up at the Lake. With the Camry out of commission, my only choice was to bike. I contemplated ordering pizza because I didn't really feel like making the 4 mile trek in the heat, but I went anyway. We shop at Schnucks which is about 2 miles northwest of our house and requires crossing at least two fairly busy intersections. While neither our house or Schnucks are in a bad area of town, the locals like to talk about the Ghetto and the gang activity that they associate with any area of town that is ethnically diverse.

The story: I was almost to Schnucks and approaching the little bit of the trip that requires me to get off the bike trail and navigate a congested area which people like to use as a "short cut." Thinking I would be a responsible biker, as I approached the first congested area, I used a hand signal to indicate that I was slowing down and possibly stopping. When it was my turn, I then indicated that I was turning right and shortly after that signaled a left turn. I noticed that there was a white Buick that was keeping more than a safe distance from me and when they eventually passed as I was locking my bike I waved to thank them for not trying to run me over.

The Accusation: As I walked into the store, the woman who had been driving the car said to me "don't think that I'm not going to tell the manager that he's letting gang hangers (sic) shop in his store." I said "excuse me?" thinking that I had missed something and mentally picturing what exactly a "gang hanger" would look like. She said "I saw you "tossing" those signals just like they talk about on tv." I explained that bicycles don't have brake lights or turn signals, so we use hand signals. She laughed and said, "I bet you use bring your own grocery sacks so that you can shoplift too."

I guess I'm guilty as charged. I am an ecologically minded gang hanger, whatever that means.

6 comments:

b said...

I'm not sure I even have words to respond to this --hilarious.

Sarah Jo Austin said...

I'm looking at your code, and I suspect the problem with your blog title is link color. Try changing the a:visited color for the title to #ffffff.

I'll add another comment if I have any thoughts on the description..

Sarah Jo Austin said...

OK. New thoughts. On your home page, the blog title is not a link, but on your post pages it is. Which means this style

#header h1 a {
text-decoration: none;
display: none;
color: #ffffcc;
}

tells the blog title to not display on your post pages. Remove display:none, and your blog title should appear (you might still need to change the color). The presence of your blog title should shove the description back where it's supposed to be.

That's the best I can do without tweaking the code. Let me know if it works!

G said...

@ Sarah Jo, you're brilliant. I tried the second suggestion first, and it worked. I'd been messing with it for days, but wasn't getting anywher. Thanks!

J. said...

I've been trying to think for days what to even think about something like this happening.

I still don't have anything.

Just...wow.

G said...

@ j. campbell. I'm still trying to really come up with a response. As I was biking home, I kept thinking that she was the pantagraph reader/commenter that I blog about. I also really wanted to recommend some Law and Order so she'd get a better sense of gang life.

@ b I wish I had a picture of my face during the conversation. I almost laughed at her.