Dec 2, 2008

Fudge and Furniture Pt 1

Technically, this probably belongs on my recipe blog, and I will probably cross-post it there, but since it really has more to do with procrastination than cooking, it seems more appropriate here. The end of every fall semester generally involves me making several pounds of fudge.* This isn't because I like fudge, in fact, I generally detest chocolate, but I love cooking and know lots of other people who love chocolate. Therefore, fudge gives me a way to be productive, stay healthy, and procrastinate all in one activity.

This is the first semester that I haven't been taking classes, so I would have predicted that the fudge would have been made already. Wrong. I'm not sure if it is the fact that I didn't have a zillion papers to write this week.** I bought all the stuff for fudge and even made a batch when we were down in Arkansas, but haven't yet made any here.

You might be tempted to think that the absence of fudge means that I am entirely caught up. Um, no. Instead I have rearranged my entire downstairs. It's not entirely painted yet and we still need to pick out the new floor, but we wanted to introduce the new layout before holiday guests arrived. The ultimate goal of the new layout is make the downstairs more baby friendly, but essentially the living room is now the dining room, the eat-in kitchen area is now entry way space for shoes and coats, and the weird space with the fireplace that we never used is now the living room.

I'll post pictures and the fudge recipe soon, but for now, I have to finish figuring grades that I promised students :)

Happy last day of classes!

Notes:
*I know I've been making fudge as long as I've been in grad school, but I don't think I started making it until I was a senior undergrad. Apparently, grad school lends itself to finding new hobbies that are solely driven by the need to procrastinate.

**This is not to say that I haven't been busy. Between teaching the internship, knowing that I'm behind on synthesis statements,*** and being pregnant, I feel just as exhausted, if not more, than if I had been taking classes.

***I was shocked to discover that awareness of one's own procrastination, while it doesn't not seem to prevent the act, does seem to have a draining effect. I would like to be able to procrastinate and not stay up at night feeling guilty about it or feel so guilty that I simply get my work done, but I'm not a fan of the guilt trip exhaustion.

No comments: