Dec 10, 2008

Campus Health Irony

After being in school forever, I have resigned myself to the fact that a visit to a campus clinic for any reason (pneumonia, broken ankle, etc) is likely to involve a lengthy conversation about whether or not I was pregnant. (Since pregnancy is clearly the leading cause of broken bones.)

Who knew that if you are actually pregnant, student health services doesn't actually have any interest in treating you?

Trip one to get a flu shot went something like this:

Them: Oh, you're pregnant.
Me: Yep.
Them: You can't have a flu shot.
Me: The CDC says all pregnant women should get a flu shot.
Them: We can't give it to you without a doctor okaying it.
Me: Okay

(insert lengthy conversation about how they don't have an OB on staff, but can refer me to one. My attempt to explain that I had my own doctor who just wasn't affiliated with SHS (Thank God) was met with a lecture about the dangers of not seeking prenatal care and an offer to test me for other STDs all in the waiting room that happens to contain one of my students.)

I leave with the understanding that I can bring a note from my OB and they will give me the flu shot.

Flu Shot Trip #2

Them: Oh, you're pregnant.
Me: Yes, I have the letter from my OB that you asked for last time.
Them: I don't think that we're supposed to give you the flu shot if you're pregnant.
Me: Last week, you said as long as I brought this letter, you could give it to me.
Them: Yes, but the form contains a box that we have to check that says you're not pregnant.
Me: Can't you write a note next to it an attach this letter.
Them: Oh, I guess we could do that, but I have to call medical records first.

The nurses leave

Them: Medical records suggest that we reschedule your appointment while we figure out what to do.
Me: You've had ten days to figure out what to do. I'd really like my flu shot today.
Them: We just don't generally treat pregnant women for anything.
Me: Every time I'm in here, you're trying to get me to take a pregnancy test, but you won't actually treat me if I'm pregnant.
Them: If you're pregnant we refer you to someone else. We just offer the tests.
Me: Well, you sent out an email saying anyone who fit these criteria should get a flu shot and pregnant women are on there. So, maybe you should take that off, since even with a letter from my OB, you won't give me a flu shot.
Them: We listed as okay in the email?
Me: Yep, it's even on that form.
Them: In that case, I guess it will be okay.

Among my other complaints with campus health, I am very disturbed by the fact that while they won't follow a letter from a doctor, they will treat you, if you can't point out an email as justification.

No comments: