Jul 31, 2009

No YouTube, I'm Screwed!

I think I might finally be outed as the teacher who does lesson plans on the way to class and puts everything off until the last minute. So far I've managed to fool people up until this point, but I think I may be in trouble this semester.

I just got an email that informed me that one of my students this fall is hard of hearing. It was a very nice email explaining that they are notifying me ahead of time because some of the modifications may impact my class planning.

Most of them I'm good with...
  • wearing a voice amplification system
  • not standing in front of the interpreter (if they send one)
  • not giving oral exams (as long as she doesn't mind reading quizzes on post-its, I'm good)
Some I'm a little leery of...
  • audio recording to be transcribed later for student. It's not that I don't want people to know what is said, but I'd rather not have a permanent record of the times I sound like a total idiot. On the upside, this should make writing the list of terms for the exam much easier.
  • repeating/summarizing comments and questions by people not wearing the mic. I know I'm going to forget to do this.
And then I read this...
Closed-captioning is required for all videos, internet videos and self made videos when being shown in class.
Um, last time I checked YouTube isn't usually captioned. I can't teach without YouTube. I'm all about disability accommodations, but no YouTube, this is going to be a serious problem.

So I email the Disability Concerns person and explain my issue and include lots of really good reasons why I need YouTube to teach.* She agrees that it is a integral part of my curriculum and notes that occasionally professors include videos that aren't and that Disability Concerns will be happy to caption any YouTube video that is part of my curriculum.

Problem solved! Not so fast; there's a catch. I must submit all videos I want captioned at least ONE WEEK before I plan on showing them. One week; is that a joke?

So this week's task, scour the internet for any YouTube video I might show this semester and start submitting. I wonder if I can get the university to pay for my Netflix for the semester in order for me to have real clips with real captioning?

*None of which were "what am I supposed to do when I don't have lesson plans?"

2 comments:

J. said...

Oy, gevalt...I feel your pain on this one. If there's any way I can help, please let me know

Beth said...

Wow--I'm impressed that you got an email. I had a student who was deaf in my class last fall and received NO notification. Had no clue...until the interpreter showed up and started signing. I would have been in the same position as you, but I was teaching in WIL and, at the time, they hadn't bothered to hook up a projection system for watching anything.