Feb 23, 2009

Bad Mothers: Media Edition

It makes me really sad that while the media seems obsessed with still talking about Nadya Suleman and her worthiness as a mother/person/woman, this was buried in the news. I only saw it because I subscribe to several feeds about pregnancy issues.

I'm guessing that her death is probably related to the availabilty of health care, as the article does note that Nigeria's maternal death rate is the second highest in the world. I really wish that maybe instead of obsessing about whether or not Suleman is or is not getting government aide, they would spend more time talking about women who are so limited in their health care options that they lose their lives in exhange for getting pregnant in a country that doesn't have the healthcare system to support them. Or better yet, why don't they talk about the taboos women who choose egg donation face.

Okay, I'm stepping down off my soapbox. Here's the whole article if you want to read it.

Nigerian woman dies after birth of sextuplets - Women's health- msnbc.com

No comments: